How to create a life book for your adopted baby
Congratulations! You are parents or are about to become parents to a much-wanted adopted baby. As your baby grows up, he or she will benefit from learning more about the past. It can also be helpful to document the present and dream about the future. You can help your child celebrate who he or she is when you create a life book. A life book is something you make over time that tells your child’s birth story and documents important life moments.
Start with the story of your child’s modern adoption when you create a life book
Your child’s story begins at our Texas adoption agency when a birth mother makes the loving decision to place her baby for adoption. She chooses a family who wants a child to love, and this is when your baby’s story begins.
When your child is older, he or she will cherish information about his or her birth parents, culture and families. You can include the baby’s birth photo, birth story, birth certificate and even a letter from the birth mother if she writes one and you choose to include it. Your child will appreciate this information about his or her past.
What should you include in this book?
Your child’s life book is as unique as they are. Here are some tips to help you create a life book with special memories.
- You can use a three-ring binder, a scrapbook or other type of book that allows you to add pages as your child grows.
- Be sure to include information about the birth of your child, such as photos, the birth story, letters and any notes from people who care about your baby.
- You can also add information about the birth parents’ culture and their families if it’s available.
- Many parents include pictures and information from milestones, such as birthdays, holidays, vacations and school days.
- You may also want to add information about your child’s friendships over the years.
Your older child can help you work on the life book as you add to it over time. What your child’s life book looks like is up to you, but the results are the same. It’s a book that’s full of shared memories and stories that help your child understand his or her past, present and future as he or she grows up with the love of your family.