Legacy helps spread awareness and information during National Adoption Month
Each November, foster care and adoption advocates around the country unite for National Adoption Month. For the past 19 years, families, public agencies and private organizations have spent the month hosting events, spreading information, recruiting new parents and raising funds, all to promote the importance of adoption.
As a Texas adoption agency, Legacy takes great pride in advancing the mission of National Adoption Month. Here, we offer adoption facts that may surprise and inspire you.
Surprising statistics about U.S. adoption
Did you know that 6 out of 10 Americans have had a personal experience with adoption? In fact, 100 million Americans have adoption in their immediate family.
- Half of the families who have adopted in the U.S. have both biological and adopted children.
- Families adopt around 140,000 children each year in the United States. Domestic infant adoption makes up 15% of that number.
- 60-70% of adoptions today are open, meaning there is a degree of disclosure between birth and adoptive families.
- There are 1.5 million adopted children in the U.S., or 1 out of 50 kids.
- The rate of international adoption has dropped by half, as foreign countries have implemented more restrictive policies.
You can support National Adoption Month in many ways
You don’t have to be an adoptive or foster parent to support National Adoption Month.
- Ask your local library to showcase books about adoption.
- Mentor a young adult who is aging out of the foster care system.
- Post information about National Adoption Month on your social media.
- Attend an awareness event near you.
- Donate to a local charitable organization or a family who is trying to adopt.
Texas adoption laws are straightforward, making infant adoption through private agencies a reliable choice. If you are open to adopting a toddler or older child, consider the statistics. Of the nearly 29,000 Texas children in foster care, 3,800 are ready and waiting to be adopted.
Only 2% of Americans have adopted, but over one third have considered it. If you’d like to learn more about making adoption a part of your life, call Legacy today at (214) 380-0888.