Are you struggling with deciding to parent your child?
The counselors at our Texas adoption agency are advocates for life. We want our expectant parents to make choices they are at peace with, whether that means placing their child for adoption or deciding to parent. As impartial advisors, we ask questions, offer information and shed light on difficult decisions.
An unplanned pregnancy is a fork in the road of many women’s lives. Deciding to parent requires slowing down, asking questions, examining life and getting into a new frame of mind. This process takes time and thought.
Important questions to ask yourself before deciding to parent
Perhaps you cannot imagine deciding to parent a child right now, but at the same time, you cannot imagine placing your child for adoption. The choice feels impossible and overwhelming. The counselors at our Texas adoption agency begin helping expectant parents by getting to know their current circumstances. We may ask some of the following questions.
- What is your current financial situation? The first year of a baby’s life costs roughly $12,000. If you cannot afford this number right now, do you have support from your partner or parents? A Legacy counselor may help you create a budget and financially plan for your baby’s future.
- Do you have health insurance? The average hospital bill for an uncomplicated delivery begins at around $10,000. Private insurance and Medicaid drastically cut this cost. Before deciding to parent, take steps to obtain the maximum coverage possible for you and your baby. Legacy can help you get started.
- What will your childcare look like? Do you have maternity leave at your job? Are your partner or parents ready to care for your child if you need to return to work? If not, are you prepared to pay for childcare? In Texas, infant childcare costs an average of 58% of a family’s monthly earnings. It can be helpful to imagine a childcare plan before deciding to parent.
- Do you have supportive people in your life? The adage, “It takes a village to raise a child,” still rings true. Do you have stable, loving and reliable people in your life who will actively support you and your child?
Take time to reflect before deciding to parent
Beyond assessing the status of your life, be sure to check your heart. Our Texas adoption agency is a neutral, judgment-free zone to work through the following questions.
- Are you deciding to parent for yourself or for someone else in your life?
- What are your hopes and dreams for your future? How might they change?
- What are your hopes and dreams for your child? How can you provide for them?
- Are you comfortable with the sacrifices you’ll need to make for a child?
- Can you offer the best home life for a child right now?
- What scares you about placing your baby for adoption?
For many expectant parents, deciding whether to parent or place their baby for adoption is an agonizing choice at first. Legacy counselors can meet you at the crossroads, supporting you through the journey until you reach a peaceful destination. Call us today at (817) 784-7579 for supportive counsel around your decision.