How to Choose an Adoption Agency. Tips for Mothers
If you have made the decision to make an adoption plan for you and your baby, it is very likely that you have already had to make a handful of difficult decisions. Perhaps one of the biggest decisions in the early stages of your adoption plan is having to choose an agency to partner with on this journey.
Here are a few tips to help you with the decision:
Research every agency.
- Don’t make a quick decision simply because you don’t want to have to think about it anymore. Take your time and read as much as you can about every agency.
Consider how quickly the agency responds to you.
- If you aren’t having any luck when trying to speak with someone from an agency, it seems unlikely that they will regard you as a high priority.
Find an agency you feel comfortable with.
- It is extremely important for you to feel comfortable working with the staff at the agency you choose. If you aren’t comfortable, you risk feeling like you aren’t able to speak freely.
Make sure the agency provides counseling throughout the entire adoption process.
- Going through an adoption plan is an extremely emotional journey. It is so important for you to receive both pre-placement and post-placement counseling.
Look for an agency that will walk through the process with you, but will ultimately leave decision making up to you.
- While you will undoubtedly seek help, it is important for you to have the freedom to make decisions on your own.
Make sure the agency is open about what financial support you could receive, if necessary.
- Most agencies provide their clients with the resources she needs, but it is important to be up front with the agency about what you need so you can be certain the agency will be able to help.
Look for an agency who will honor your wishes.
- Because of the sensitive nature of adoptions, you will undoubtedly go through tough times. You might think it unnecessary to make sure that an agency would respect your wishes, but unfortunately, some agencies try to push their clients into making certain decisions.
Most agencies want nothing more than to help you make this as smooth a journey as possible. Legacy Adoption Services would love to walk through this process with you.